Book Tickets Online
Award winning Tyrella beach and dune conservation area is a small, enclosed complex within Dundrum Bay, Downpatrick, County Down. It is a wide, flat, sandy beach two kilometres long and backed by 25 hectares of mature dunes in a conservation area offering scenic walks and an insight into the habitat of local flora and fauna.
Tyrella Beach has been awarded the prestigious Seaside Award annually since 1997 and has also maintained the Blue Flag award since 2011 due to the management and cleanliness of the beach. It has also retained it’s Green Coast Award since 2008.
An ideal destination for locals and visitors alike, the clean waters invite water sport enthusiasts and the beach provides a safe haven for families and groups who wish to picnic in a clean environment.
The beach boasts a car free zone, off-beach parking facilities and a lifeguard on duty for safe bathing in the summer months and holidays. There is also a tourist information centre nearby offering advice to visitors on the immediate and surrounding area.
The nearby area offers beachfront accommodation ranging from caravans, bed and breakfasts and self catering accommodation. For assistance with short breaks or holidays to the area, please visit our accommodation section.
Facilities including beach centre with visitor information, toilets on site, wheelchair access and life guards on duty. Special disabled parking on the beach can be arranged on request.
Horses allowed on the beach after 6pm during bathing season (15 June - 15 Sept)
10am - 6pm
Easter to September Weekends Only
July and August Daily
Click here for the programme of Summer Beach Activities at Tyrella Beach and Cranfield Beach this Summer
The Beach is owned and managed by Newry, Mourne and Down District Council. The nearest Visitor Information Centre is Newcastle Visitor Information Centre
- Toilets for disabled visitors - 10:00 - 18:00 Easter to September Weekends Only Daily during July and August
Children & Infants
- Baby changing facilities - Baby changing facilities open 10:00 - 18:00 Easter to September Weekends Only Daily during July and August
- Facilities for children
- Accept coach parties
- Family Fun
- Lifeguard - Life rings and throw bags located along the beach and available outside of the main season.
- Visitor information
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - Parking available on Beach
- All major credit/debit cards accepted
- Free (parking charges may apply) - Parking Charges apply Easter to September Weekends Only 10:00 - 18:00 Daily during July and August 10:00 - 18:00
|£4.00 per ticket
|£30.00 per ticket
|£15.00 per ticket
|£2.00 per ticket
Car Park charge during Summer & Bathing Season