At the east of High Street in Newtownards the Market Cross was built in 1636 but was destroyed by Commonwealth troops in 1653. The original building was less than 11 feet tall and octagonal in shape with a low door and staircase leading to the roof. The present replacement building was finished in 1666. Its conical roof was probably used as an office or shelter for the towns night watchmen. Towns people say that the Cross used to "flow with wine" at the birth of a royal baby.
- Free (parking charges may apply)