Book Tickets Online
AboutBonamargy Friary was built close to the mouth of the Carey and Shesk rivers by Rory MacQuillan in 1500. The rival MacDonnell clan fought for and claimed the friary from the MacQuillans in 1588. The cloister, gatehouse, altar and church are well preserved except for the thatch roof. There are many interesting features including the east window, a staircase and a sealed burial vault. The coffins of several Earls of Ulster and chieftain, Sorley Boy MacDonnell, lie within.
Open access all year.
- Free (parking charges may apply)