Book Tickets Online
AboutOpened in 1849 the fine façade of the Main Lanyon Building, designed by Sir Charles Lanyon, conceals a quiet, restful quadrangle. This was the original Queen's College: the University has expanded throughout the immediate area, including all the houses on University Square, the imposing terrace to the left of the Lanyon Building. The Welcome Centre is a local tourist information point for students and prospective students to Queen's. As well as providing information about the University the staff can provide advice on what to see and do around Belfast and Northern Ireland. The centre also stocks an attractive choice of gifts and University memorabilia. Guided tours of the University, including the Great Hall, the Canada Room, the Council Chamber and the quadrangle are available throughout the year on request. Wheelchair access.
You can also visit the latest exhibition in the University's Naughton Gallery. Open Tuesday to Sunday 11:00-16:00. Further information can be found at www.naughtongallery.org
At the Lanyon Building there is a Blue Plaque erected by the Ulster History Circle dedicated to Professor R.M. Henry 1873-1950. Born in Belfast, Henry was educated at Methodist College and QUB where he became Professor of Latin in 1907. As first Secretary to the Academic Council he played a key role in shaping the development of the University. He was the brother of the painter Paul Henry.
Another Blue Plaque can be found at the Old Library, dedicated to Poet Philip Larkin 1922-1985 who was sub-librarian here from 1950-1955. Born in Coventry, although he had two novels published in the 1940's Larkin acknowledged that his career as a poet started in Belfast, following his appointment as sub-librarian at QUB. He privately publish XXPoems (1951) while living in Belfast.
- Gift Shop
- Guided Tours Available
- Open Mondays
- Open Sundays
- Picnic Area
- Tea-room/Cafe onsite
Children & Infants
- Baby changing facilities
- Accept coach parties
- All major credit/debit cards accepted