Comber potato, asparagus and mussel broth takes about 15 minutes to prepare and an hour to cook.
1.25 litre/ 2.1 pints of chicken stock
300g/ 11oz Comber potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
150g/ 5oz pearl onions, peeled
16 stems asparagus, trimmed
600g/ 1lb 6oz mussels, cleaned
75g/ 3oz butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wheaten bread, to serve
1. Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a saucepan. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until nearly tender.
2. Add the pearl onions and cook for a further two minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for another two minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
3. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Simmer the stock until the volume of liquid has reduced by one third.
5. Check the mussels. If any are open, give them a tap on the work surface and if they don't close, throw them away. Add the mussels to the broth, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until all the mussels are open.
6. Whisk in the butter, then return the vegetables to the pan and warm through. Season with salt, if needed, and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Serve the broth in bowls with crusty bread.
This is a recipe by Danny Miller of Balloo House showcasing local food on the Signature Kitchen in the NI Food Pavilion at The Balmoral Show 2015.