Book Tickets Online
Situated in the village of Benburb, this Grade A listed early 17th century church is documented as being the oldest church in the north-west of Ireland still in regular use.
Built in 1618 by Sir Richard Wingfield, who became the first Viscount Powerscourt, it remained part of the Powerscourt Estate until 1877 when the estate was purchased by the Belfast businessman James Bruce. Memorials and features within the church highlight its witness to major events in Irish history, notably the 1641 rebellion, the Battle of Benburb in 1646, the Williamite campaign, The United Irishmen’s Rebellion of 1798, the Famine and the Home Rule campaign. The church also has links to Trinity College Dublin and to the local linen industry.
There are 5 stained glass windows of note by artists C E Kempe and GM Parlby dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Visitors may participate in a “Stories behind the Stones” talk and tour, or take a self-guided tour using the information panels provided. A churchyard trail highlighting some of the older graves and monument is also available, weather permitting.
To get more information or to book a free tour please email or call.
Tours available for individuals or groups of up to 20 people.
- Booking Required
- Open by appointment only