Book Tickets Online
Castlerock is a 1km (0.7 mile) long stretch of beach between the sea cliffs of Downhill to the west and the Lower River Bann estuary known as the Barmouth to the east. The beach was awarded the Seaside Award in 2020.
Castlerock beach backs on to the tranquil resort of Castlerock. The dunes to the east of the entrance are home to Castlerock Golf Club.
Visitors can access the beach via the dunes by means of 4 new boardwalks. Cars are permitted on the eastern portion of the beach all year round, although access may be difficult due to accumulation of soft wind-blown sand (please heed signage at entrance).
Walkers and anglers can walk along the concrete pier of the Barmouth but should exercise extreme caution at all times (inadvisable in high winds and breaking sea).
• free car parking on promenade
• boardwalks access to beach
• dogs allowed (restrictions apply 1st June - 15th Sept)
• horse riding (restrictions apply 1st May – 30th Sept, permitted before 11am and after 7pm)
• seasonal RNLI Beach Lifeguards Service (July & August 11am-7pm daily)
• disabled toilets and disabled parking
Did you know?
The dunes here extend back upstream of the Bann estuary to Grangemore and are some of the oldest dated dunes in Ireland. There is a National Trust bird sanctuary at Grangemore.
The beach and dunes are designated as a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and an Area of Special Scientific Interest (ASSI).
- Open Evenings
- Open Mondays
- Open Sundays
- Picnic Area
- Accept coach parties
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs accepted by arrangement
- Free (parking charges may apply)
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|