Book Tickets Online
AboutA circular trail within the wooded grounds of the Beech Hill Country House Hotel.
Follow the blue waymarker disks that say ‘Marine Trail’ from the trail head which is located at the western end of the Hotel car park. The trail flows in an anti clockwise direction, leading you past the Kennedy –Skipton Coat of arms and the top pond. The arms in the top-right corner belong to the Kennedy Family and consist of three small crosses. The Kennedy crest is a dolphin. The arms in the top-left corner belong to the Skipton family and consist of an anchor with a bird sitting on it; the Skipton crest is a raised arm holding a dagger. The motto Pro Patria belongs to the Skiptons. Follow the blue waymarker leading to the left of the top pond. The Gate Lodge, Walled Garden and Stone Arch can be seen from here. The Arch is reputed to be the site of the first house at Ballyshaskey built by Alexander Skipton in 1622. This house was burnt down in the rebellion of the 1640s. The walled garden dates from before 1833 and is gradually being restored to supply the hotel with fresh vegetables and fruit. Continue to follow the trail crossing the top pond bridge. The trail then weaves its way through the woodland to emerge onto the Lime and Beech Tree Avenue. This is the original carriage avenue and in 1835, was "formed by several rows of old lime trees which render it peculiar in this country and very interesting". Today there are also beech trees in the avenue. Continue across the avenue following the blue waymarkers. The trail then joins an old vehicle track leading past the car park which contains the old Quonset Huts. The two huts are a legacy from 1942 -1944, when the Beech Hill demesne became part of Base One Europe - the US Naval Operating Base, Londonderry. A Quonset hut is a lightweight prefabricated structure of corrugated galvanized steel having a semicircular cross section. The name comes from their site of first manufacture, Quonset Point, Rhode Island, USA. Continue following the track until the blue waymarker saying ‘Marine Trail’ directs you to the right onto the purpose built trail. From here the trail weaves through the peaceful natural woodland until reaching a trail junction. From here bear left following the Marine Trail waymarkers before crossing over a vehicle track. Look out for the 'footprints' of the other 400 Quonset huts which once made up Beech Hill Camp, before reaching the vehicle track. Continue to weave your way through the woodland, passing the Marine Memory Tree just before rejoining the vehicle track. The Marine Memory Tree is where serving and veteran Marines and their families carve their initials in the Marine Tree, when they revisit Beech Hill. They stay in the place that sheltered their comrades and visit the monument erected by the Beech Hill US Navy /Marine Corps Association in 1997, which can be seen opposite the front of the Hotel. Bear left up the hill towards the bridge between the middle and bottom ponds. From here there are pleasant views of the bottom pond waterfall and the middle pond bridge. Continue to follow the waymarkers leading left after passing across the bridge. The Beech Hill Water Wheel can be seen from here. This water wheel came from an old mill in Donnemanna and was restored by Leo Donnelly. The trail then ends by rejoining the car park at the front of the hotel.
Flat wide paths
Point of interest:
Pond, Kennedy-Skipton Coats of Arms, Lime Tree Avenue, Quonset Huts
Hotel, Restaurant, Toilets, Car Park
- Free (parking charges may apply)