General information

St Columb's Park (Heritage Trail)

This public park, on the Limavady Road was formerly the estate of the Hill family. A large house in the grounds was called 'Chatham' as its builder was a naval officer Lieutenant John Rea; his daughter had married Sir George Hill of 'Brookhall.' In 1845 the Hill Estate was bought by the Londonderry Corporation for use as a public park.

The Hill house was used for a time as a Nurse's home and is now St Columb's Park House Activity and Reconciliation Centre.

The ruins of a small church of St. Brecan's can be found in the grounds of the park. These ruins are from a church re-built on this site by Redmond O' Gallagher, Bishop of Derry in 1585. The original church was destroyed in 1197, by a Norman Knight- Rotsel Pitun.

Loading, please wait.

Things nearby


Contact Information

Attraction / Heritage/History

St Columb's Park (Heritage Trail)

Limavady Road
BT47 6JY
Phone number
T: (028) 71 267284

Special offers