General information

Merville House For EHOD 2019

Merville House was built between 1795 and 1798 for John Brown a distinguished banker and merchant from Belfast. Other notable owners/occupiers include Doctor James Blair, Lieutenant Colonel John Rowan and Edward Coey, who was the only Liberal Mayor of Belfast in 1861. He was also knighted around the same time, also Frederick Charles Gunning Robinson and Professor James Eadie Todd

When World War II broke out, the Government commandeered Merville from the Robinson family to be used for “movement Control” of British forces

After the war, the Merville estate was sold to Thomas Ardlow McGrath (Ulster Garden Villages) and with the help of Architect Edward Prentice Mason build Merville Garden village, which was declared a Conservation Area in 1995, to date the only one within Newtownabbey area.

Merville House has undergone a £1.2m renovation and is now an important part of local Newtownabbey community life. Officially re-opened on 27 April 2006 by the prominent Belfast community activist Baroness Blood.

Opening times

Sat: Closed

Sun: 13:00 - 17:00

Price list

Free

Facilities

  • Free (parking charges may apply)

View all

Facilities

Facilities

  • Free (parking charges may apply)
Loading, please wait.

Things nearby

Gallery

Contact Information

Event / Seasonal

Merville House For EHOD 2019

Address
Merville Garden Village Whitehouse
Newtownabbey
County Antrim
BT37 9TH
Phone number
T: (028) 9085 4900
Phone number
M: 07597 941 947
Email

Special offers

Top